In our dental office in Fairfax Virginia we use the latest technologies to make the patient experience as positive as possible. One particular technology that has made this possible is our intraoral digital scanner. We use it in procedures like Invisalign and Crown procedures.
What are dental impressions?
We use impressions to fabricate dental appliances like crowns, bridges, dental implants, and clear aligners like Invisalign.
The idea is to get a perfect and exact mold of your mouth or a particular tooth, ensuring the best fit.
What are the different types of dental impressions?
- “Traditional dental impressions” are made using a material called alginate. Alginate is a gooey substance that sets into a solid with time. For some patients this type of dental impression material is uncomfortable and activates the gag reflex; some even throw up.
- In our office we avoid using this impression material and try to use the technological advances as much as possible using the iTero intraoral digital scanner.
What makes the iTero intraoral digital scanner unique?
- Unlike traditional dental impressions, the iTero intraoral digital scanner captures what we need to in real time and there is no wait time for the gooey material to set.
- The impression is made digitally using a wand that takes thousands of images and stiches them together.
- iTero intraoral digital scanner is very accurate and has been shown in studies to create better fitting appliances or prosthesis.
How does the iTero intraoral digital scanner work with Invisalign®?
- Invisalign clear aligners are one of the most popular teeth-straightening treatments on the market today.
- It allows for a fast and accurate digital impression of your teeth and has a a “smile stimulator” option to show you the possibilities of treatment immediately.